Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Black and White Dessert


I had a hunch that The Artist was going to win.  Although, I didn't find it to be the best movie of the year (slow in parts, over-dramatic music...), I can understand why it won based on its uniqueness for its time.  But, boy am I glad we have eventually graduated to the more exciting world of color and sound.  So, continuing on with our movie themed food, I ended the night with a Black and White Dessert with a pop of color - Meringues!  Crunchy on the outside by pillow soft like a marshmallow on the inside.   I found a great recipe for meringues from Joy of Baking, but patience is required for this, because it takes time for the egg mixture to create stiff peaks!  But it was all worth it in the end, especially due to the Macerated Blackberry Topping (berries soaked in Grand Marnier and orange juice).  Once the meringues finished drying out (over several hours), I cut their sweetness with this tangy topping that made all the difference in the world.  

What you'll need: Berry Topping

1 pkg of blackberries (about 8 oz)
2 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp of orange juice
1 tbsp of Grand Marnier

With a fork, crush a few blackberries and combine the rest of the whole blackberries, sugar, orange juice and Grand Marnier in a bowl.  Gently mix all together.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, occasionally stirring.  Pour it onto of the meringues just before serving.

Piping out the meringues
Marshmallow Center

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I've never in my life had a meringue!

    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delish! I never thought of having meringue with blackberries before

    xx

    Jen

    ReplyDelete