Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Homemade Birthday Dinner


Today I turn 27 years old but I already started celebrating yesterday with a homemade meal from my favorite cook, Mom.  It's been my tradition to request a birthday dinner from her every year, because there is nothing better than a home cooked meal and family togetherness.  In the past, she's made gourmet mac and cheese, tacos... but this year I asked for Grandpa Ugo's Chicken and Potatoes.  Breaded, salty and oven baked deliciousness.  This was one of his signature dishes that he used to make for his family and now my mom makes it for hers.  It was a fabulous way to start off my b-day with a bang.  And, tonight we're off to see the Witches of Oz.  Wicked!

What you'll need:

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
Pinch of dried oregano
 Pinch of dried basil
1/3 cup parmigiana cheese
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut in half
3 russet potatoes cut into 1 in. pieces
1/2 yellow onion sliced


Get your breading station ready with one pie plate filled with olive oil, ground pepper and salt and the other pie plate filled with the breadcrumbs, cheese, oregano, basil and salt and ground pepper to season.  Because this is an oven baked recipe, we use olive oil instead of a flour and egg method.  The olive oil helps keep the chicken and potatoes crispier.  First, quickly place the chicken in the oil to lightly coat, then transfer into the breadcrumbs and pack the mixture onto the chicken so it's heavily coated.  Do the same oil and breadcrumbs method with the potatoes.  Place both in a tin pan or casserole baking dish that has been lightly drizzled with olive oil, but don't overcrowd the chicken or you'll loose some of the crispiness.  Throw in some sliced up onions and drizzle the top with olive oil.  Bake in a 375 degrees oven for about 45 mins.


We paired this with broccoli and my momma's cranberry orange jello and I was in my happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment